Samurai telemetry support is categorized using the following three levels. These categories describe the estimated value that a specific telemetry data source is expected to add to the Managed Detection & Response (MDR) service, whilst providing clarity and expectations of threat detection capabilities.
- Vendors and technologies with excellent threat detection, validation and hunting capabilities and where evidence collection is performed (such as IDS/IPS).
- Vendors and technologies with good threat detection capabilities and where evidence collection is performed (such as Sandbox). Although best offered in combination with Foundation sources, Detection level sources are sufficiently high value to be monitored in isolation.
- Vendor and technologies with no / limited threat detection / validation capabilities in isolation. Used mainly for correlation, Threat Hunting and Enrichment purposes in combination with Foundation/Detection sources.
- An IDS/IPS telemetry source where full API integration is available and evidence (e.g Packet Capture - PCAP) is collected for analysis would be used for threat detection purposes. However the same technology type without such an integration (e.g syslog only) would only provide data with no actual detail in support of qualifying threats, and would therefore primarily be used for Enrichment purposes in relation to events from sources of a higher support level.
- A DHCP log would add no actual detection capability, but it can be used to identify the actual physical host in a network using dynamic net assignment.
For technologies consisting of a combination of data source types, our policy is that the highest level of support that a source reaches also determines the overall support category of the technology.
For example, a Unified Threat Management (UTM) data source consisting of multiple types (e.g. Firewall, URL, IDS/IPS, Sandbox) would when evidence collection is supported (e.g. PCAP, Sandbox Execution reports) be categorized as a Foundation source as the IDS/IPS with PCAP collection is considered to be at such a level.
A UTM consisting of the same source types, without evidence collection, would be categorized as Detection support as the highest level source would be at Detection level (e.g. URL/FW).
All supported telemetry data sources with the assigned category can be found under Supported Integrations.
to event from sources of a higher support level.